3.1K views

We purchased APMEX "MindDirect" 2012 (S) San Francisco minted silver eagles in tubes of 20. We sent these SF Eagles to NGC for authenticated and grading and NGC stated that unless the SF Eagle was sent to them in the original mint green (Monster Box) with the original mint strapping intact they can't authenticate them as being from the SF Mint, thus treated as regular eagle (bullion).

Here is a reply from NGC when I questioned why the coins were not authenticated as being (S) San Francisco Minted Coins:

Thank you for your email. The only way to get the (S) no S mint mark on the label is to send the coins in the monster box with the strap still in tact.

Please feel free to email or call us should you have any further questions.

Lisa

Lisa Berzins

NGC Customer Service | Numismatic Guaranty Corporation

p. 800-642-2646 x134 | f. 941-360-2553

NGCcoin.com

NGC, NCS, PMG and CGC are members of the Certified Collectibles Group

We have complained to APMEX and the customer rep refused to acknowledge the problem, I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told that someone would call me back, no one called.

They still advertise these coins as being SF Minted eagles knowing that they can not be authenticated as such.

Had an Experience with Apmex?

Comments

Also, APMEX had to open the green "monster box" to apply the APMEX "mint direct" shrink wrap tube label to each tube of 20 coins.If you want a "banded" box, simply order a plain monster box, not 25 APMEX "mint-direct" tubes.

APMEX has handled over 100 transactions from me, buys and sells, 100% good.

Your complaint makes no sense.You bought some very nice silver bullion coins and there was no problem.

Sending your coins away for someone to authenticate and grade makes no sense. That coin has no "mint mark" stamped into the metal for 2012; others sometimes do. It's a perfectly fine bullion coin; there is no need to send it away to have someone handle them and charge you a fee and also pay for two trips in the mail, and what if they leave fingerprints on them or send back the wrong coins? Silver will tarnish and should not be handled without clean gloves, if at all.

You should buy a 500-box to keep and one extra one to handle or look at. You need to learn more about precious metals investing before filing silly complaints.

I hope other people can learn from your mistake.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #707397

do your homework b4 u purchase.If the (S) IS PARENTHETICAL, AND I AM SUREITWAS, YOU HAVE NO COMPLAINT.

Maybe misled at most.

Never buy coins ar a home shopping network you pay dbl what they are worth.

WHAT IS IT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I FEEL LIKE IT IS MORE THAN REASONABLE POLICY BY NGC THAT THEY WILL EVEN CERTIFY ANY OF THEM ,IF THE BANDING SEAL OF A MONSTER GREEN BOX IS BROKEN THERE IS NO WAY FOR NGC TO KNOW IF THE ORIGINAL COINS HAVE BEEN SEARCHED OR SUBSTITUTED WITH SOMETHING ELSE, APMEX SF MINT CLAIM MAY BE VERY WELL DOCUMENTED THROUGH ORDERS AND INVOICING AND IMAGE GENERATION ,BUT EVEN THOUGH THEIR ADVERTISEMENT MAY BE DOCUMENTED AS TRUE,IF A SEAL IS COMPROMISED ,IT IS COMPROMISED AND NGC CAN NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THEM AT THAT POINT WITHOUT COMPROMISING THEIR OWN INTEGRITY,IF YOU WANT CERTIFIABLE ,THE MINT SEAL MUST BE UNCOMPROMISED,UNLESS THEIR ADVERTISING CLAIMED TO BE MINT SEALED AND CERTIFIABLE AND THEY WERE NOT ,YOU HAVE NO COMPLAINT ,BOTTOM LINE IS THE ADVERTISEMENT MUST SAY MINT SEALED AND OR CERTIFIABLE